A salt lamp, also known as a Himalayan salt lamp, is a large piece of Himalayan salt that strongly resembles a rock in aspect and which contains a bulb meant to illuminate. Most of the products sold on the market are a solid-shaped one-piece, but there is a variety of ways in which the salt can be put as to obtain a more sophisticated aspect. Not only are they some nice interior decorations which turn a room into a more intimate space, but they are also natural sources of light.
The Rise of Holistic Healing
What westerners acknowledge nowadays as holistic healing is an extension of the Eastern world’s older traditions. To offer you an example, see the ancient Chinese medicine or the Indian Ayurvedic one. Some were based upon how the body interacts with the external environment through the use of herbs. In China, the local doctors were specialized in localizing certain energy centers which, when activated, were believed to provide people with a better health and a stronger physique even well into the old age.
More than concentrating on the physical body, these medics chose to focus on one’s emotional well-being and spiritual status. They thought back then (a belief that is currently being reinforced) that when a disease occurs, the body would be the last one affected. These doctors had the faith that an illness would first impact a man’s emotions (the spirit), then affect the mind (the reason), and only afterward become visible as to be treated. However, their purpose was to avoid the diseases spreading up to that point, and instead support the people’s emotional health by using various methods of which many are gaining more popularity by the day.
Holistic healing played a huge role in the Indigenous societies on the American territory as well. Still, many of them seem to have taken things one step further by claiming that everything was connected. Thus, a man’s health was strongly dependent on the environment he lived in, and, on a larger scale, to the entire Universe.
Even Socrates whom many of us are familiar with stressed this idea of a whole that needed to be healed, even if only one of its parts was injured.
But what is with this sudden interest in alternative medicine at the present moment, given that many of its methods are either unapproved or do not enjoy much scientific evidence in regards to their true effectiveness? Everywhere we go, we are bound to see or hear at least once a day the terms “organic” or “bio.” In spite of the majority of Westerners still deeming it as not being trustworthy due to a long history of superstitions, one cannot deny holistic medicine’s effect, be it even a placebo one. People have begun distrusting today’s medical treatments where chemicals are the main part and have headed towards more natural practices. Practicing yoga or meditating, using incense stick and semi-precious gemstones to balance the energy inside our bodies are only a few of the habits one integrates into his or her daily routine for better health. Of all the objects used to enhance the method’s impact, salt lamps are easily some of the most recognizable ones. People do not necessarily buy them for their health-related benefits, but because they look beautiful and emit a dim light which often offers a soothing sensation.
Why Should You Own a Himalayan Salt Lamp?
What sets these lamps apart from other objects used by people interested in the holistic medicine is the fact that they are made of Himalayan salt, one that many specialists, as well as the residents in the Asian regions crossed by the mountains, regard as the “white gold.” Still, what makes this type of salt so interesting in comparison to that extracted from the ocean, one might wonder. Firstly, the Himalayan salt is hundreds of millions of years old. According to numerous research projects conducted in the area, more than 250 million years ago, huge portions of sea salt have been covered with lava which then solidified. This action combined with the numerous layers of ice deposited on the plate tectonics kept them well-protected from the external factors up to the present day. Currently, many people consider the Himalayan salt as being the purest form of salt out there.
Secondly, its chemical composition is made of no less than 84 natural trace minerals of which many are found inside the human body as well. Some of the most important include calcium, magnesium, potassium or sodium chloride.
Thirdly, all its minerals are extremely fragmented. This means the body absorbs them faster when we use the salt to season our food. Also, because they are so small in size, their atoms move a lot faster than in the case of regular salt, so more energy is stored in the Himalayan one. For a better understanding of how a Himalayan salt lamp can benefit our health, we have listed below some of the advantages of its main material, the Himalayan salt:
- Enhances the detoxification process: when putting in water, its compounds dissolve and interact with the body in such a way that it both pulls the toxins out of it and provides it with additional minerals( which enter it through the skin)
- Increases hydration by controlling and regulating the body’s water levels
- Lowers blood pressure and improves circulation
- Supports the health of our lungs and a better overall function of the respiratory system
- Improves digestion and allows for a better nutrient absorption
- Helps you sleep better
- Prevents and even reduces cramps
Unlike the salt present on the market in our days which is strongly processed, thus losing much of the essential minerals, its Himalayan counterpart is a real miracle of nature. Therefore, why should the salt lamp not have the same benefits, in spite of it helping us on the outside rather than on the inside?
Health Benefits of Salt Lamps
The majority of rocks mined to obtain the material used in the manufacture of salt lamps originate mainly from Pakistan, but other salt mines can be found on Iran’s or Poland’s territories. Most of them are pink or orange in color. However, there is also a variety of white salt lamps which are rarer and therefore much more sought after by people interested in them. Specialists in the holistic medicine advise us to own not just one but several such lamps and place them throughout the entire house. Far from being harmful, thanks to their chemical structure and mechanism of action, they can only help our health in the long term. The following are the most important ways a salt lamp can benefit you, should you choose to buy one. Keep in mind one important aspect: none of the things listed below have been properly studied as to claim they are real. In spite of this, many of those who own one such object have stated that the salt lamps indeed work.
It is generally believed that a salt lamp can:
- Balance electromagnetic radiation: everybody owns at least one type of electronic device of which the most used are the TVs, phones or laptops. The thing about these products is they emit electromagnetic radiation and release at the same time positive ions which can seriously affect one’s health if exposed to them on the long term. Sadly, these radiations cannot be seen with the bare eye; therefore people are often inclined to overlook them. As a result, one can experience general fatigue, nervousness or a poor-quality sleep all of which are sure to impact the immune system. But here interferes the salt lamp’s mechanism of action. These small blocks of salt can be a tough enemy for positive ions, as they can release negative ones into the air. We have yet to find out to what extent the lamps do so. Some people claim that they can even neutralize electromagnetic radiation if placed near the objects that emit it. However, for now, this remains only an overstatement. The terms “balance” or “reduce” seem much more appropriate until proper studies are conducted in this regard.
- Cleanse the air: one special capacity a salt lamp has is that of being hygroscopic. This means it can attract water molecules from the air together with any other compound they might contain. This includes dust, pollen, and even smoke particles. What the lamp does more precisely is absorb the molecules, then release the clean water into the air through evaporation and trap the remaining constituents in its structure. Still, it would be unwise to believe that an object this small might purify the air inside an entire room. Most likely it does so with that surrounding it, for which reason people are advised to own more than just one lamp if they one to take full advantage of its effects.
- Raise energy levels: it is very well-known that positive ions can rob the body from much of its energy. No wonder we can sometimes feel so exhausted after finishing a task which involved the use of a laptop or watching a TV show even for an hour. Because these electronic devices are responsible for releasing positive ions into the air, a salt lamp is more than welcomed inside one’s house. Negative ions, which the lamps emit, can make one feel more energetic, offering people a feeling similar to that of being in nature, surrounded by trees and breathing fresh air.
- Help alleviate the symptoms of asthma and even some allergies: salt, in general, can absorb water. However, what a salt lamp can do is absorb it directly from the air where there is a multitude of dust particles that are the main responsible for numerous allergies. Even in the most severe cases when one has asthma, he or she can notice an improvement in the overall condition within weeks after buying the lamp and using it. Moreover, the Himalayan salt became so appreciated by people from all over the world, that various companies that activate in the domain have started producing Himalayan salt inhalers.
- Enhance your sleep pattern: the salt lamps are natural negative ion generators. This means the air quality is drastically improved with their help. It is well-known that an air rich in dust particles and any toxic compound for that matter is linked to a poor night rest and irregular sleep patterns. This happens because the positive ions present in it reduce the blood flow to the brain. A weak oxygenation process usually means there is more stress involved, which is one of the factors that can impact the brain’s health in the long term. Also, some people cannot sleep well unless there is at least one source of light inside the room. The weaker that source, the better, so a Himalayan salt lamp is great for this as well. In spite of the numerous colors that range from white to orange, the lamps emit a similar amount of light which is dim enough as not to disturb.
- Reduce stress and make you feel more relaxed: aside from its negative ions, the salt lamp emits a calm light for which reason you are likely to find one in a therapist’s office for sure. The color offers a sensation of warmth that will surely make one feel more at ease and relaxed. Furthermore, the objects are also used in chromotherapy, a kind of therapy that involves the use of colors as a means to balance the body’s physical, emotional and spiritual aspects.
- Make you feel better: again, the combination of the compounds it releases and its natural color turns a Himalayan salt lamp into a right help for people who struggle to improve their mood. Many of the studies conducted on the negative ions’ manner of action have associated them with an increase in the levels of serotonin, also known as the hormone of happiness. People suffering from depression or anxiety can benefit from owning it.
- Increase concentration and enhance the thinking process: researchers claim that negative ions are truly wondrous and for a good reason. Most often than not, even a short time exposure to them can improve the blood flow; especially that directed towards the brain. The amount of oxygenated blood increases focus and provides one with a clearer thinking process.
- Improve blood flow: the brain is not the only organ that benefits from the negative ions’ effect. When the blood flows better towards one part of the body, it is only natural for it to do so with any other organ, be it the heart, lungs or kidneys. This way, the vascular system will enjoy a good overall health with lowered risks of disease occurrence shortly.
- Ease coughing and improve the respiratory system’s health: Aside from absorbing dust and smoke particles from the air, Himalayan salt can also absorb germs whose presence strongly influences one’s health, especially in the winter time. When one is more prone to catch a cold, these tiny contaminants enter the respiratory system and bring about a lot of common cold symptoms such as coughing or sneezing. In spite of them being annoying rather than severe, it is always better to keep them as far from our lungs as possible. A Himalayan salt lamp might be the solution in this case as well. When the bulb inside it heats up, the same thing happens with the block of salt as well. This way, it can release negative ions once with the evaporated water.
Some people are more skeptical when it comes to a salt lamp’s health benefits. However, even if researchers need to conduct new studies as to establish once and for all the true role of a Himalayan salt lamp, there are some things about it that can convince one buy it such as:
- Looks nice: having an orange block of salt in the living room that emits a warm light can provide you with a relaxed environment where you can feel at ease throughout the entire day. Aside from improving your mood, the lamp can also bring you closer to nature through its rugged design.
- It is cheap: many people look for lamps and any other object that can release negative ions. Still, since most of them are expensive, one can always pick a Himalayan salt lamp whose price is more than affordable.
- Each lamp is one of a kind: unlike the natural products that all seem to look and function the same each Himalayan salt lamp is unique from the design’s point of view. Chances are, you will not find two lamps that are similar in the whole wide world.
Also, it is said that each color has a particular advantage to it:
- Orange promotes relaxation, improves the nervous system’s health as well as the kidneys function
- White cleanses and detoxifies the environment from impurities
- Pink, which in the holistic tradition represents love, balances emotions and offers a more positive outlook
- Red, the darkest shade, helps the circulatory system
It is true there are not many specialists that support the salt lamp’s use by people interested in improving their physical condition. Moreover, some of them claim that the lamp only has a placebo effect. However, judging by the feedback offered on the subject, mostly a positive one, it is safe to assume that the object is likely to help more those who appreciate holistic medicine rather than all the other customers.
Where to Place it for Maximum Benefits?
A Himalayan salt lamp is not a Feng Shui object that you should put in a particular area of your house and a specific position for it to function. On the contrary, people who want to buy just one ought to think twice. Thanks to its mechanism of action according to which the lamp can release negative ions as to counterbalance the positive ones’ effect, people can make better use of it if they choose to buy one for every room in their house. Place them near any electronic device or in an area where you spend most of your time such as the living room or even the bedroom.
There are smaller as well as larger ones, depending on the room’s size and the owner’s personal taste. Pay close attention to the product’s label that should indicate what you are holding in your hands is made of 100% Himalayan salt. Trustable manufacturers take good care of this aspect so that the customer will acquire only a high-quality, authentic object. Also, look for lamps with a smoother surface which allows for better particle absorption.
Many of us know how a salt lamp looks like. Light pink or orange in color and with a rock-shaped aspect, salt lamps can nowadays be seen almost everywhere. However, if one wants to buy an authentic object and know more about it, then he or she ought to try a holistic health store. There, not only will they find out more about its significance and how it works, but will also be surrounded by hundreds of similar objects that are believed to help the human being on an energetic level. In spite of being in the 21st century, our society seems to be more and more attracted to alternative medicine methods, and for a good reason. Holistic healing might even experience its biggest breakthrough in the following years. Proof in this regards is the fact that it is gaining more followers by the day.
References [ + ]